Thursday, July 12, 2007

One Night in Gankland

It was a dark night in STV. Then it got darker.

Dark with loads of horde as I was questing with my little Pally but thankfully they were mostly my level. As a precaution though, I brought in the big guns (i.e. Talonfist), parked him close to my questing area and logged out (this is a page from Bacon's Big Book of Questing) Love it! :)

It all seemed so easy; grind out 15 Bloodscalp Ears, edging closer to lvl 34 and then hit the hay early. I was not to be so fortunate as that. Now I don't mind getting ganked. Something about having played my rogue for so long and then switching to a non-stealther, somehow takes the edge off. I think it's because I know I can't "vanish" and get away.

See when you have something like vanish and someone dots you up, it gets stressful because you're always trying very hard to escape or run. But with little Oak, you know you can't run ... you have to fight. So you settle in for long haul, give it your best effort and whatever happens happens. I like it much better.

Anyway back to my story. So I started in on my Ears. Things were going well and then I heard stealth. But I saw both rogues too so they weren't too high level. However, I thought .... gee its STV and if the shoe were on the other factions foot, they'd run me outta here so they could quest. Heck I have a lvl 67 rogue waiting in the wings so why not use him? :)

I logged.

Talonfist comes in from stage right.

I thought to myself ... gank ... but then listened to the good voice on my other shoulder and decided, sap. After a few of those, they'll get nervous and leave right? Wrong. They were both only lvl 30 and 31 and I thought they wouldn't mess with someone 35+ levels above them. Wrong again.

I wasn't watching or I got cocky but one of them got way to close to me whilst I was in stealth and must've got a lucky roll. He actually saw me. I'm such a noob. Well he decided to take a shot at me. Gouge/mutilate/dead. Not much of a fight.

But while I was visible, the other one turned and ran at me too. Unbelieveable. Same fight, second verse. All the time I'm thinking ... what are THEY thinking?

I logged again, got my Ears and hearthed out with Oak.

Never being one to avoid a rested bonus I logged back in again with Talon to park him in Sentinel Hill. So on the way out of STV, I thought I'd swing by the hunter camp and see if any low-level alliance are being pestered by horde. The little camp was littered with 3 horde and some skeletons, all low-level (30-33) hordies; they took the shape of one hunter, one warrior and one priest.

As I rode up, I aggro'd (somehow, bad roll again) a lvl 30 Young StrangleThorn Tiger. Geez, c'mon. Okay so I dismount to kill it and just as I do, the horde priest pulls it off me. How nice of him. So I decide to help and be friendly. I help him kill it. One mutilate and done.

No sooner than I sheath my daggers, the lvl 30 warrior charges me. Are you kidding!?!?!? And he has the nerve to hamstring me. And it works - oy!

So I gouge and toddle behind him and kill him too. Meanwhile the undead priest is laughing his face off. Finally I get Talon parked back where he goes.

It was a long night, filled with crazy low level horde and odd rolls. But that's why we play this game. For the love of variety.

0 comments: