Tuesday, August 28, 2007

I'm Happy Being a Hero

Since I didn't quest last night, I thought I'd just write generally about my guild.

Awhile back, our guild experienced what some might call "drama", in regards to various issues. It seems we are passed that now, and I for one am relieved, because I just hate to see people upset. I look at a guild as a sort of a "team". You have your big players, people that everyone depends on to be there and do their thing. And nobody wants "ripples on the pond" within their team, upsetting its stablility.

Because one way or another, we depend on each other to some degree. From the lowest of the lowbies, admiring high-ranking guildies in their shiny, glowing epics, to the highest of the high-levels, hoping their healer will keep them alive in Kara ... we need each other. So I'm glad my team is doing "okay" now.

So you might be asking yourself, what keeps me around these parts?

I can't say that I feel "important" to our guild. Hard to feel that way when you're a lvl 43 paladin really, lol So I know they can do without me, I get that.

But on the flipside, okay maybe the edge of that coin, I do sorta feel important in a way. Why? Well because of things like some of you taking time to read my blog, some of you even making comments (which I always appreciate), and several of you both on the rogue and paladin fronts have always been helpful and friendly with advice. Ferth, our GM, has always been cool about well .. pretty much everything (and no I don't owe him gold - that was just a compliment).

So what keeps me around? What brought me back after my first time leaving Heroes? Its those very things I just mentioned ... sort of a small-town friendly attitude. It keeps me coming right back each night, hoping to add another level to Oak, hoping I get DSL at my house so I can be more involved, hoping to find a place where I can contribute in a positive way and help make other people feel important, in the same way that I've been made to feel.

See in Heroes, you never feel "left out". I guess that's what I'm trying to say. We don't have the biggest and best website, we don't have the biggest and best gear, we haven't downed all the biggest and baddest bosses that WoW has to offer but we're a spunky little group, and I dig that about us.

And for all that stuff I know we don't have now ... we'll get there if it all fits into our general guild attitude. And that's what I enjoy most about Heroes. The game doesn't run our collective lives and that's awesome ;)

I want only a very few things from WoW.
  1. The ability to "disconnect" from day-to-day RL crap.
  2. To not have additional crap online that adds to my RL crap.
So there it is. Gear, rep, levels, quests, honor, arena points, glows, skillz, killz ... it's all gravy compared to those first two things. And Heroes gives me a chance at all that stuff with a group of people that I respect for their game knowledge and as good folks too. You can't ask for a better guild than that.

So raise a tankard of Ale Heroes, cheers to you all, for Heroes you all are!

7 comments:

Origami said...

Very. Very. Excellently. Well. Put.
This blog says it all really. This is what Heroes is about and even though sometimes it doesn't feel like it, we should never lose focus on it.
Sometimes the epic'ed out L70 kara raiding, BG/Arena killing folks (myself included) need a perspective refresher from someone who can see the trees in the forest. :)

Thanks for the reminder!

Jennifer said...

You are so awesome!

Lilura

Jon said...

Good post Talon! *sniff*... got a bit teary there at some point but I held it together. :D Might need a hug though at some point so you better run and hide...

Hit me up if you need some help killing a ganking Horde or something... Or finishing a quest or whatever. And as far as us not needing to be leet... I think having ANOTHER expansion release in sight kind of puts a perspective on end-game grinding... it's not about getting the best lewt, because the best lewt will be replaced by greens one expansion later. It's about the guild! We've had some drama in the past but that was mainly due to some very young players that have since left... and since then.... -> no drama. That is a damn good thing.

Cheers lad. See you on the flip side.

Rob said...

Thanks for good comments everybody. I was "out sick" from work yesterday ... cough ... questing ... so I didn't catch these till today. You're a great group of guys and gals :)

Raydz said...

Rob...Ur my hero now.

Jake said...

Well put, but we all know you are here because of me and my massive arms.......

Rob said...

Well there is that ... and Lou's masculine gnome voice. I hear he's gonna put up a WAV file intro on his blog when he gets it going. I know he's working diligently on that blog site too. It's gonna be a daisy!